Finding Your Lookalike Audience
Finding Your Lookalike Audience
- As a small business owner you can utilize Facebook to help grow your business.
- Facebook has what is called a lookalike audience.
- You can upload a set of email addresses and phone numbers to create a custom audience. This is a group of Facebook users whose email addresses and phone numbers match your list. Within a few hours, Facebook can tell you how many of their users match up with your database.
- Every person on Facebook has a graph associated with them. The graph contains data points that are interconnected to your user profile. When you visit internet sites Facebook is able to track this and determine your interests and then they associate that with your user profile.
- Websites have a Facebook widget which allows them to track any visitors that visit their site. It could be a commenting widget, "Like" button, etc.
- Facebook creates a graph or profile based on your interests.
- Once you upload your user data Facebook can then use that to find a lookalike audience. You can then market to people who are similar to those who have already purchased your product/service.
- One of the most powerful tools in Infusionsoft is the ability to collect data and segment it based on tags, purchases, etc.
- SyncSumo takes audiences from your database and upload it to Facebook on a regular basis which helps create a living, breathing audience of your buyers or any other segment of your database.
- You can then put your marketing in front of people who are similar to your current buyers at no cost to you.
- You can further slice and dice the list and find people by location, etc. so you can find the prospective customers you want.
Transcription of Episode
[00:00:00] This is Ryan Chapman with Fix Your Funnel and in an earlier episode, I talked about pixelizing people on Facebook. Today, we're going to talk about look-alike audiences on Facebook and why you should even care.
A lot of people, interestingly enough, are not aware of these huge opportunities that you have as a small business owner today. Facebook is really the central place where a lot of those opportunities can be realized. Facebook has what they call a look-alike audience and what this means is that you can take a group of people, take their phone numbers and email addresses, and upload it to Facebook and create what they call a custom audience. This is a group of Facebook users whose email address or phone number match your list.
I might have 10,000 emails and phone numbers from past customers. I can upload those to Facebook. Facebook will then look through all the profiles of their users and, over the course of a few hours, identify those who match up with my database. They're not going to tell me who matches up, but they're going to tell me how many matchup.
[00:01:00] Let's say I upload 10,000 and they say 7,000 of those are match. Your number may be totally different than that, I collect a lot of cell phone numbers and email addresses so I have a higher match rate than you might with Facebook. Regardless, now we have these 7,000 customers that Facebook has identified on their on their network. This is extremely valuable if you understand what a look-alike audience is.
Every person on Facebook, whether you like it or not, has what they call a graph associated with them. The graph is a bunch of data points that are interconnected and, in particular, connected to your user profile. Every place you go on the internet, just about, everything you look at and express interest in, like, anything like that on Facebook, Facebook uses to create this graph about you. That graph includes websites that you visit, they look at the content of that [00:02:00] and then determine a topic and/or interest or topics and then they associate that to your user profile.
How are they able to do this? Just briefly, so you understand, almost everybody has on their website some sort of little widget from Facebook. With that widget, Facebook's able to track who's on that page. Whether it's a commenting widget, it's a like widget, it's how many likes you have, your web page, whatever. Facebook's able now to track any kind of visitors that go to that website. In addition, there may be people that have that Facebook pixel on their website, even if they have nothing else they got the Facebook website pixel. With that information, Facebook is able to determine interest and likes and that kind of thing and create this graph or profile of that user.
What happens when you upload these buyers, to your Infusionsoft Facebook account, into the ad account, and create this custom audience off of these buyers is you can say Facebook, go find the look-alike audience. [00:03:00] I want, you know, this percentage of these people that match in there. Normally, we look at a 1% look-alike audience. It'll be like a million or so people, even off of a list of 7,000. What Facebook has done is they've gotten to look at all the common interest of these 7,000 people in your buyers list and they're going out and they're looking for other users on their Network that match up with the same interests. Based on that, they're able to put in front of you an audience of people that you could start marketing to that have similar interests to the people that have already bought your product or service.
This is why I said a long time ago the most powerful part of Infusionsoft isn't actually the automation. While it's a very powerful side effect, the actual most powerful part of Infusionsoft for small businesses is the data that they collect. Being able to collect your data and segment it based on tags and purchase and all sorts of things like this [00:04:00] give you opportunity to create these really awesome look like audiences in Facebook.
I personally use a tool called SyncSumo and, by way of disclosure, I have ownership interest in that company. SyncSumo will take these audiences from your database like Infusionsoft and other systems and it will dynamically upload that on a regular basis into Facebook, creating this kind of living, breathing audience of your buyers or any other segment of your database. If you have a look like based off of that, what's happening is Facebook is just continuing to refine that as you add more and more people into that audience.
So say you have your database of people that match a certain segment that you're trying to target on Facebook and you want to find people similar to that. We sync that through a app called SyncSumo into Facebook and from there you're able to create a look-alike audience and from that look-alike audience, you can put your marketing in front of them. This is a great way to find other people [00:05:00] that very common characteristics with your current buyers that really doesn't cost you anything at all. It's really powerful.
If you haven't been doing this or haven't investigated it, go investigate it. From there you can further slice and dice that list. You may get a million or one and half million people that match this look-alike audience profile, but then you can slice and dice and say, I only want people in this city or this state or any other areas so that you can get those people that specifically match to your needs as a business in terms of prospective customers that you'd want.
That's the look-alike audience on Facebook. I'd encourage you to investigate it, start thinking about it, and, as always, keep moving forward. This is Ryan Chapman with Fix Your Funnel.